Many environmentalists are working to clean our oceans, save our forests, plant trees and pick up roadside trash. Politicians pass laws against littering, and city workers try to keep our streets clean. These are all great efforts, but we need everyone involved to “Save Our Planet.” So…how can we make that happen?
Cities Need Trained “Save Our Planet” (SOP) Experts! SOP Experts can be trained and hired to help neighbors work together. They can contact neighbors, existing Neighborhood Watch groups, and Associations to inform and educate neighbors about the importance of keeping neighborhoods clean and safe for everyone. Education and involvement make neighbors aware of what needs to change to stop blight, graffiti, and unwanted trash. In addition, they can encourage and evaluate potential leaders who can help bring neighbors together for social and climate change events.
SOP Experts organize neighbors to help stop disruptive activities that contribute to blight! Neighborhood involvement is the key to getting more citizen participation which will keep cities safer and cleaner to improve the health and welfare of children! When neighbors have support, they build trust with each other. However, if fear grips the neighborhood, seek assistance from the police.
Save Our Planet Experts should look like and speak the language of the community to build trust and empower neighbors! There are many benefits!
- Neighbors that know and trust each other will take charge of kids on the block and put a check and balance on negative juvenile behavior.
- Involved citizens can improve behavior and attitudes by building trust and reducing the need for guns.
- Connected neighbors reduce fear and offer youth needed support to reduce social isolation.
- Relationships can be strengthened between racially diverse neighbors.
- Neighbors can grow a community garden which will educate and improve health.
- Involvement can reduce fear and anger that can lead to gangs, drugs, child sex trafficking, and violence.
- Involved neighbors can reduce the cost of juvenile delinquency, graffiti, arson, and blight.
- Citizens will feel safer and are less likely to buy guns for protection.
- Neighborhood involvement creates new grassroots leaders and protection for seniors.
- Involvement strengthens families, neighborhoods, and communities as citizens become more responsible for their environment.
- Support for neighbors can improve relationships between citizens and local officials.
- Taxpayers benefit when citizens take responsibility for cleaner, safer neighborhoods.
When neighbors work together, they decide what will and will NOT be tolerated in their neighborhoods. “Save Our Planet” (SOP) Experts can help everyone play a role in keeping neighborhoods clean, safe, and healthy as citizens work together to save ourselves.
Stephanie L. Mann, Author, Founder, Safe Kids Now National Network Crime and Violence Prevention Consultant For more information: www.safekidsnow.com